Sunday, December 16, 2012

Review: Ten


When you hurt someone with intent,
with cruelty,
your actions are a crime.
Your betrayal, your backstabbing,
your character assassination....
Steps must be taken to protect the innocent starting now.
Vengeance is mine.


And so begins this terrifying tale of justice. Gretchen McNeil impresses her fans from the very start of the book with a detached yet captivating first chapters. We won't kid ourselves by denying the resemblance between Ten and Agatha Christie's And then there were None. But although Christie exhausted her readers by dedicating a chapter to each character in the book, McNeil concentrated on Meg and put us right into the story. 




The house reminded me a lot of The Woman in Black movie since the characters either had to take a boat or swim, to cross from one end to the other. A good rule when writing a horror story is to choose a scenario where the characters are trapped, and McNeil succeeded at that as well. 

The problem for me was the consistent back and forth action between the boat house and the main house. As well as one electrifying death that seemed too difficult to pull through. 


Not for the faint hearted. 


11 comments:

  1. This sounds like an awesome book. I love books of this genre. Also you posted a great review!
    Blessings,
    Jody
    http://www.jodysbookreviews.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, it sounds kinda creepy for a YA book, and it is being compared to The Woman in Black! I might want to read this book only after I have read And Then There Were None. I actually heard that Ten is a retelling of Ten Little Indians/And Then There Were None. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was a good idea remaking this story with teenagers. A movie would be good, too.

      Delete
  3. I do love this genre, and appreciate your review. It sounds interesting -- I'll just have to read it during the daytime, haha!

    I found your blog from Jody's Book Reviews Tuesday LinkUp.

    Your newest follower,
    Denise @ http://www.learning2walkagain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard of this one and put it on my to read list. I didn't know it was that creepy, thanks for pointing that out! Great review! I look forward to your reviews in the future.

    New GFC follower :) Check out my blog too?
    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  5. hello! visiting you from jody's book hop - this one is a bit to creepy for me, thanks for the heads up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not for the faint hearted indeed! I read this book when it came out and loved it :) While My friends think Agatha Christie's Then There was None, which this book was based on, was better, I thought it was a cool adaptation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree. Can't wait to read some more books adaptations, like Little Women and Werewolves :p

      Delete
  7. I don't really like horror stories...but this does sound temptingly creepy...I think I might have to be brave and give it ago! ;)

    Catherine @ The Book Parade

    ReplyDelete