Thursday, January 30, 2014

Review: Heartbeat


"If there were something I could do to Dan that would hurt him, I'd do it."

Emotions are raw in Elizabeth Scott's latest novel Heartbeat.

Emma's mom died from a complicated pregnancy (over 40) -- a baby that Dan, her stepfather, desired more than anything. It isn't surprising that given the option, Dan would choose to keep his wife on a breathing machine until the baby is ready to survive on its own. 

But Dan fails to understand Emma's internal struggle. How can she accept her mom is gone when she sees her everyday at the hospital. The womb moving as the baby grows. No wonder Emma is angry and filled with resentment. 

Most of the book takes place in the first thirty days following the mother's death, making this quite an emotional read. Bad boy Caleb provides a well needed distraction. And even though Emma is desperately in need of some chemical balance, her attraction to Caleb builds up slowly. 

Love-o-meter theme: Sweet, shows the benefits of straying away from instalove.



4 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed this one just as much as me! It's a very emotional read, and I really related to Emma, which kind of made it hard for me to read, and I absolutely hated Dan when she did. Some of the things he done though, were very selfish and unforgiveable, even if it wasn't intentional, that's the whole point, he didn't think. You can see both points, but at the end of the day he may have lost just as much as Emma, but he didn't think about her. It made me think a lot, which is what I loved most about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! You never know how someone is going to react to grief, and Dan was just selfish. Thinking he was there, when he really wasn't.

      Delete
  2. Wow, this book sounds super emotional! I'm normally not a huge fan of overly-emotional books that deal with issues, but this one is intriguing enough that I might have to give it a chance. Thanks for introducing me to a new book to add to my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do it with great pleasure Andrea :D Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete