Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday: Write Something, I'm giving up on you



 




TOP BOOKS I ALMOST PUT DOWN BUT DIDN'T


Call me old fashion but I just can't DNF (did not finish). As a book reviewer and a virgo, I need to read from cover to cover before I can rate it in any form. Sometimes, the ending makes up for the whole story. Sometimes not.  




1-Go Ask Alice
Anonymous
I hoped it would get better and the character would be taught important life lessons, but she was far too immature for that. 



2-The Scorpio Races
Maggie Stiefvater
Both MC's had too many problems to smile. I felt quite disconnected, but am glad I stuck to it. 



3-Hanging by a Thread
Sophie LittleField
Gorgeous cover and great mystery plot, but I kept putting it down due to the slow pace. 



4-The S-Word
Chelsea Pitcher
The plot lacked depth, leading to several confusing ends. Not for me. 




5-Crash
Lisa McMann
Huge fan of McMann -- this book not so much. The MC has a vision, then has it again, again. And again... Books shouldn't drag like that.



6-Beautiful Disaster
Jamie McGuire
He's jealous of all the guys who approach you because deep down he cares, he just doesn't know how to tell you plot gets tiring after a while. 



7-Demonglass
Rachel Hawkins
Very slow paced, but worth reading. Especially for the end. 



8-Delirium
Lauren Oliver
Oh that ending!! I'm glad I didn't put it down. 



8-Where she Went
Gayle Forman
This book was heavy, emotionally that is. I had to put it down for a while and come back to it later.



9-After
Amy Efaw
I couldn't stand the character, even after getting to know her better. Too bad. Abandoning a newborn was a great topic to focus on for a YA book.



10-Dreams of Significant Girls
Cristina Garcia
There was no need for the lack of dialogue. Sadly, the story never picked up. 


Which book made your list?




13 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read Lauren Oliver's Delirium but I'm not much of a Contemporary reader, but I've heard good things about this series. Might try it out!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Come on by and check out my Top Ten ;) Book Hangovers
    xoxo Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice picks! I ended up not liking Beautiful Disaster at all. I thought Travis was a hideous character, he's controlling and abusive and I don't get what so many girls see in him. I have Delirium but I still need to get to that book and series, I own them all so I do plan to do it soon. I hope I end up loving it! Nice picks :) Here's my TTT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you about Crash. And it was a short book too!

    Thanks for stopping by! Shannon @ Rex Robot Reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually liked Go Ask Alice until that ending! I mean really..
    thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This reminds me I never read the final book in Rachel Hawkin's Hex Hall trilogy. I need to get to that, especially if it has a great ending.

    ReplyDelete
  6. okay, so I did like Beautiul Disaster, but I think i liked it because Travis was an idiot. Yeah, sigh, go figure. So i liked Delirium, but not as much as I thought I would. I haven't continued reading the series, and it messes with my OCD. I have the Scorpio Races and want to read that. I liked your TTT title... now I got that song stuck in my head. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I've only read two of the books on your list. I loved Where She Went and I really liked Delirium, but I haven't read the final book in that trilogy. I actually want to read some of these now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've only read Delirium from your list. I enjoyed reading it. I really need to read The Scorpio Races, I have it, but I keep putting off reading it. I have seen it on a couple lists that I have looked at today. So if I get the urge to put it down, I will make sure I power through and give it a chance. Great list! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. GO ASK ALICE was just creeeeeepy. And you're SO right, the character was really immature :(
    I've read DELIRIUM, but I didn't enjoy it. This was mainly because I hated Lena.
    Great post!
    Here's my TTT: http://onceuponabookishtime.blogspot.co.nz/2014/05/top-ten-tuseday-ten-books-i-almost-put.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Delirium! That ending absolutely murdered me, but I loved it. I read Go Ask Alice when I was really young so I loved it, not sure how I would feel about it now. Great list!

    Teresa @ Readers Live A Thousand Lives

    ReplyDelete
  11. ohmy Delirium.. I actually have Delirium in my tbr list but I'm really looking forward to reading it soon since I really enjoyed Before I Fall.. and besides, I'm reading great things about it :)

    czai @ the Blacksheep Project

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Scorpio Races was so slow. I struggled with it too. I liked Delirium, but wasn't much a fan of the rest of the series.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I actually didn't finish After because I couldn't stand the main character. I still need to read Delirium and Where She Went. I loved Demonglass though I get what you mean about it being a bit on the slow side at the beginning. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete